On behalf of the Blackwell staff, we would like to say that we look forward to working with you and your child(ren) to develop an educational environment that supports and challenges all students. We appreciate and value your input and suggestions throughout the year. Our school office is open from 7:30am to 4pm each day. Please feel free to contact us about questions or concerns that you may have at (847) 357-5555.
Again, this year promises to be a great one! Enjoy the remaining weeks of summer and prepare yourself for what is sure to be an exciting and academically-challenging school year. If you have any questions or concerns regarding the coming school year, please feel free to contact me at any time. I look forward to seeing many of you on the 15th!
Jillian Sagan and Stephanie Fry
- Wednesday, August 7th, 9-11 am and 6:00-8:00 pm is our School of Information Day. Our school will have extended hours for any family that has not registered yet. Instructional Device Parent/Student Meetings at 9:00am, 11:00am and 5:00pm. All Kindergarten-5th grade parents need to attend one of these sessions.
- Thursday, August 15th, 5:30-7:30pm is our Back to School Picnic. Families can drop off supplies between 5-6:30pm in your child’s classroom and meet the teacher. The PTA will be sharing lots of information about how to get involved at Blackwell as well as offering lots of food, fun, and music to celebrate the kick-off of a phenomenal year. More details can be found on the flyer.
- Monday, August 19th is the first day of school for first through sixth grade students. Students are allowed into the building at 8:25am each morning. The official start of the school day is at 8:40am. Dismissal is at 3:00pm on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday. Dismissal every Wednesday is at 2:30pm.
- Week of August 19th is kindergarten screening. Appointment times are included with your class placement letter.
- Monday, August 26th is the first day for kindergarten students. All kindergarten students will enter and exit at Door 10.
- More details to come regarding our Family Fun Night in September.
There have been a few staff changes that should be noted. We hope you will join us in welcoming all of our new staff members to Blackwell.
A packet was mailed home in January regarding health requirements for entry into the sixth grade. A current physical examination is required for entry into the sixth grade. All children entering sixth grade must show proof of receiving 1 dose of Tdap, 3 hepatitis B vaccines, 2 doses of varicella vaccines and 1 dose of meningococcal conjugate vaccine. Please have the Certificate of Child Health Examination (sixth grade physical examination form) completed by the physician and documentation showing proof of required vaccines and return it to the school nurse by the first day of school in August 2018.
Supply lists can be found on the Blackwell website. school supply lists
We would like your student to bring all supplies on August 15 at the Back to School Picnic. Parents and students will be invited into the building to drop off their supplies in their classroom. Remember to mark your student’s personal items with his/her name to avoid confusion if an item is misplaced. All pre-ordered supply kits can be picked up in the gym at the Back to School Picnic on August 15th.
New lunch times for 2018-2019 school year:
- 2nd and 6th will eat and have recess from 11:15 to 12:00pm
- Kindergarten, 4th and 5th will eat and have recess from 11:45-12:30pm
- 1st and 3rd will eat and have recess from 12:00-12:45pm
First Day of School
The first full day of school on Monday, August 19, 2019, is for all 1st-6th graders. The first few days of school, students will become familiar with their classroom teacher and new classmates.
We start the drop off routine on the very first day of school to form good habits. We ask that you say good-bye to your child at the school doors. We ask that only students enter the building – even on the first day of school. Staff members will be on hand to escort any children that are unsure of where to go. Staff members will be on hand the entire first week. You may also help your child practice walking from the door to the classroom during the Back to School Picnic. For special events or office business, parents are welcome to be buzzed in at the main entrance to sign into the office and get a visitor’s pass.
Teacher assignments will be mailed home on Friday, August 9th. Teacher assignments will not be given out at Information Day. Please make sure you have registered your children and provided the proper residency paperwork to ensure your child receives a placement letter. Registration now requires all students to prove residency. Students who are not registered will not be sent a classroom placement letter. Please call 847-357-5555 if you have any questions.
Information Day-August 7th Hours 9:00am-11:00am and 6:00pm-8:00pm
Our school will have extended hours for any family that has not registered yet.
Instructional Device Parent/Student Meetings at 9:00am, 11:00am and 5:00pm.
All Kindergarten-5th grade parents need to attend one of these sessions.