Upcoming Events-Sign Language Interpreters must be requested five days before an event by contacting Jennifer Vera at Jennifervera@nullsd54.org
- December 11th– 4th grade Winter Concert at 6:30pm
- Spirit Week- Dec 18th-21st
- Monday- Sports Day
- Tuesday- Wacky Hat
- Wednesday- Ugly Sweater
- Thursday-PJ Day
- December 18th– Variety Show 6:00pm show in the gym
- December 21st- Last Day of school before Winter Break
- December 22nd- No School
- January 8th– School Resumes
Beginning December 5, teachers, parents, guardians and students across Illinois will have an opportunity to participate in the Illinois 5Essentials Survey: Organizing Schools for Improvement. As a parent, this opportunity will allow you to share your thoughts on the important elements of school effectiveness and help us guide school improvement. The Illinois 5Essentials Survey will be administered online on behalf of the Illinois State Board of Education. The survey identifies five indicators that can lead to important student outcomes, including improved attendance and larger test score gains. Research has shown that schools strong on these indicators are 10 times more likely to improve student learning. The five indicators are: effective leaders, collaborative teachers, involved families, supportive environments, and ambitious instruction.
5Essentials Parent Survey
District 54 has chosen to provide the optional 5Essentials parent survey. All District 54 parents are encouraged to take this optional survey – whether your child is in a District 54 early childhood program, elementary school or junior high. The parent survey is only 26 questions and the state estimates you can complete it in 10 minutes. The survey is available in English and Spanish. To take the parent survey, please visit https://survey.5-essentials.org/Illinois/ between December 5, 2017 and January 31, 2018. When searching for your school’s name, remember to look up the full name (for example, look under E for Elizabeth Blackwell Elementary School, not B for Blackwell). Parent and student identities will be kept completely confidential and survey responses will not be linked to any individual. If you have any questions about the survey, please contact 5Essentials Client Services at (866) 440-1874 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
If parents have more than one child at a school, they should complete only one survey for that school. In addition, only one parent or guardian per household may participate in the survey. Parents with children enrolled in multiple schools may take the survey for each school. Schools are listed alphabetically by their full names (for example Jane Addams Junior High would be listed under J, not A for Addams). The state is not providing hard copies of this survey. If you do not have access to a computer, you can use one at one of our local libraries. We will also make computers available to parents at our schools. Call your child’s school if you are interested in taking the survey at a District 54 school. If at least 20 percent of our parents complete this survey, a parent supplement will be generated. The parent data will not be reported on the State Report Card. We are hoping to meet the target this year in our schools.
5Essentials Student Survey
Only students in grades 4 through 12 will take the survey. District 54 schools will provide time at school for our students in grades 4 through 8 to take the survey during the week of December 11. You can review the questions asked of students by visiting http://Illinois.5-essentials.org. The Student Survey is also available in English and Spanish. The questions are at a fourth-grade reading level and accommodations will be allowed. If you do not want your child to participate, please contact your school principal by December 8. If you have children at more than one school in grades 4 through 8, you must contact the principal at each school.
District 54 Education Foundation – Upcoming Support Opportunity- Join us in Section 117
The Windy City Bulls will host a District 54 takeover night on Wednesday, Dec. 20 at the Sears Centre Arena in Hoffman Estates, and a portion of the proceeds from each ticket purchased will be donated back to the District 54 Education Foundation.
The District 54 take-over night will feature:
- District 54 students participating in performances and other on-court experiences before and throughout the game;
- A District 54 Special Olympics basketball match at halftime; and
- A pre-game career panel for middle school students featuring front-office executives from the Chicago Bulls and Windy City Bulls.
The Windy City Bulls will host an assembly at the school that sells the most tickets.
Próxima oportunidad de apoyo a la Fundación educativa del Distrito 54
Los Windy City Bulls albergara una noche de compra de boletos dedicada al Distrito 54 el miércoles 20 de diciembre en el Sears Center Arena de Hoffman Estates, y una parte de los ingresos de cada boleto comprado se donará a la Fundación Educativa del Distrito 54.
La noche de adquisición de boletos a beneficio del Distrito 54 contará con:
- Estudiantes del Distrito 54 que participaran en presentaciones y otras experiencias en la cancha antes y durante el juego;
- Un partido de baloncesto de entre los participantes del programa de Olimpiadas Especiales del Distrito 54 durante el medio tiempo; y
- Previo al juego habrá un panel profesional y de carreras con ejecutivos de la oficina principal de los Chicago Bulls y Windy City Bulls para estudiantes de las escuelas intermedia.
Los Windy City Bulls participaran en una asamblea en la escuela que venda la mayor cantidad de boletos.
Yearbook orders are available!
This is the first round of ordering for yearbooks for the 2017-2018 School Year. This year, we are working with a new company, Tree Ring. Parents now have the option to order online and insert custom pages with their children’s photos onto a two page spread (no additional charge) and order a hard cover book ($6.95 additional). Customized books and Hard Cover options are only available through an online purchase.
Access the link to order the yearbook here:
Winter Concert and Art Show
Fourth grade students are invited to our annual fine arts night on Monday, DECEMBER 11th at 6:30pm. Students will meet in their classroom at 6:15 and our concert will begin at 6:30pm. Immediately following the concert families are invited to student classrooms to view artwork and participate in a make and take craft project. We hope to see you at our night of the arts!
Please feel free to reach out to Miss Hewell (music) or Mrs. Gluskin (art) with questions.
To help support our Giving Tree, we are bringing Holiday Grams to Blackwell. Blackwell Snowman Grams will be available for purchase during the lunch periods from Wednesday, December 6th-Wednesday, December 13th. Students will be able to participate in sending hand-crafted snowman pencils attached with positive messages to fellow students. Snowman Grams will be available for purchase for 50 cents in the main hallway during lunch periods.
- Our PBIS Student Team along with Mrs. Polanco and Mrs. Gluskin will be creating our Snowman Grams using a variety of art supplies to be delivered at the end of the school day on Dec. 21st.
- November 21st– Report Cards Posted Online
- November 22nd– 24th– Thanksgiving Break
- November 27th– Reflections Exhibit at PLC from 6:30-8:30pm
- November 28th-December 8th– MAP Testing
- December 4th– Whole School Assembly at 9:00am
Report cards are NOW available for you to view through the parent portal. If you have not created a portal account, please call the office. Only those who have contacted our office asking for a paper copy will receive one today in your child’s backpack. If you already created a Parent Portal account, but forgot your password or are locked out, call (847)357-5110 or email email@example.com. If you need to set up a Parent Portal account, or have other questions, please call our office at (847)357-5555. Our office will close today at 4:00PM for Thanksgiving break and reopen Monday, November 27th. If you still need assistance, please contact our office before close today or after Thanksgiving break.
- November 20th– Amazing Africa Assembly (9:15 and 10:15)
- November 21st- Report Cards will be posted ONLINE
- November 22nd-24th– Thanksgiving Break
- November 27th– Reflections Exhibit at PLC from 6:30-8:30pm
Blackwell’s Annual Giving Tree:
- As a Blackwell community, we would like to announce that the (annual) Blackwell Family Giving Tree Project for the 2017-2018 school year will be coming to the office soon! We would like to take a moment to ask our community and staff to help support Blackwell families to make the holiday season a little brighter.
- The Blackwell Family Giving Tree will be available in the office beginning Monday, November 20th. The Blackwell Family Giving tree will have ornaments for individual children with “a wish” gift request and other pertinent information. We ask that all gift requests taken be logged in with the secretaries, wrapped with the ornament firmly taped to the gift, and returned to the office by Friday, December 18th so families can pick them up the week before we leave for break.
- If you would like more information about Blackwell’s Family Giving Tree, you can contact the main office at 847-357-5555 or the Blackwell Social Worker at 847-357-5548.